Corn Dried Distillers Grain
What is Corn Dried Distillers Grain?
A golden-brown coloured, free flowing granular powder with a pleasant fermented odour.
Corn Dried Distillers Grain (CDDG) is a by-product of the distillation of ethanol biofuel from Maize grain and has a long history in animal feeding.
CDDG, which is rich in protein, moderately rich in fat and has low crude fibre, can be fed to all classes of livestock – Beef and Dairy cattle, sheep, goats, pigs and poultry.
Features & Benefits:
- CDDG has all of the components found in Maize, with the exception of starch, but are approximately three times the concentration.
- CDDG is higher in protein (28% DM), of which 55% is rumen by-pass.
- A particular benefit of CDDG over cereal grains is that, their energy is primarily provided as readily digestible fibre and fat reducing the incidence and severity of acidosis, laminitis and fatty liver normally caused by rumen starch fermentation.
- CDDG contains dried yeast cells from the distillery process that provides B-vitamins and an excellent palatability.
- CDDG has a higher energy value and total digestible nutrient value compared to wheat DDG, and is a good source of readily available low cost organic phosphorus.
- Because of low lignin and high digestibility, the energy provided for a high fibre diet is similar to that of corn.
The benefits of CDDG are best captured in a balanced feed ration. Possible inclusion rates depend upon achieving a nutritional balance, but typically up to 20% of daily DM-intake for maximum performance. CDDG mixed with silage can be fed in the paddock or on a feed pad. Due to its free flowing nature, CDDG blends well with other products and is able to be fed via grain feeding systems in the dairy shed. Consult your nutritionist or farm consultant to work out the most optimal inclusion level for your particular situation.
Like all feedstuffs, CDDG should be stored dry, in bulk bins or placed on cement slabs (away from vermin and covered and protected from the weather accordingly). Generally, CDDG will contain low to average moisture levels. Therefore, when properly stored the quality of CDDG will be maintained.
Typical Analysis (DM Basis):
|Crude Protein||28 %|
|Neutral Detergent Fibre||30 %|
|Crude Fibre||5.5 %|
|Crude Fat||9 %|
|Metabolisable Energy||13-14.5 mj/kgDM|